
Ruthie had the best night last night, which means I had the best night too. Can't say the same for previous nights. Not sure what I'd do without "Happiest Baby on the Block" techniques and the "Womb Sounds" bear. I just had breakfast, and am quietly waiting for our little lovebug to wake up and demand a feeding. I can't wait to see that she has gained weight. That will relieve my current worries and affirm that we're doing okay.
The past 5 days have been such a life-changing experience. I cry tears of joy, worry, and triumph daily. Just to look at her…does every Mom think their baby is the most beautiful child in the world?
Today my goal is to put clothes on, clothes other than sweatpants. Yesterday we took Ruth on a drive. Getting out was wonderful. We pulled up to Tully's; Mark waited in the car with Ruth, I walked in (very slowly) to get me a soy hot cocoa and a "chider" (chai with cider) for Mark. After getting back into the car I decided I'm still not ready for public. I need a few more days to recuperate. Going on walks in our condo parking lot will have to do for now…
I can't believe it has been almost a week since her arrival. All the days blend together.
Here's a quick version of the birth story:
Last Monday morning at 3:30 a.m., after getting up to go potty, my water broke. It was a full moon. I soaked through 3 towels before we got to the hospital. After 6 hours of mild contractions, induction with pitocin (the doc didn't want to risk infection the longer there was no amniotic fluid), 4 hours of "hell" contractions, an epidural (I wasn't dilating at all, merely hyperventilating), and less than 2 hours post-epi I was ready to push. An hour and a half of pushing and there she was… I cried and cried and cried. Mark and I were happily surprised it was a girl (we had convinced ourselves it would be a boy).
Recovery has been a trying experience, but I feel better with each passing hour. I think I had post-traumatic stress for the first 24 hours after delivery; but the truth is, the pain fades fast, and just looking at Ruthie, I'd do it all over again for her. We struggled with a name for her, as the name we had settled on just didn't quite suite her. But "Ruthie" fits, and I can't wait to watch her personality continue to unfold in front of our eyes.
She's beginning to squirm and fuss…that's my cue…
Thank you all for the love, support, messages and phone calls. It means the world to us.
No comments:
Post a Comment